Te Araroa News
Te Araroa - showcasing some of the Lonely Planet Top 500 - 18 October 2015
New Zealand's top location is Fiordand National Park in 17th place.
Te Araroa is on the trail with Lake Wanaka coming in at number 94, the Bay of Islands is at number 130 and Waitomo’s spectacular caves come in at number 280.
In summer 2015/16 Te Araroa was re-routed through the heart of Wellington city to now take in Te Papa Tongarewa, the Museum of New Zealand, which is at number 285.
Lonely Planet’s “ultimate travel list” is billed as “the 500 most thrilling, memorable and interesting places in the world - ranked in order of brilliance” by the guide books community of travel experts and authors.
Overall, the Temples of Angkor in Cambodia top the list followed by Australia’s Great Barrier Reef then Machu Picchu in Peru. At number four in the list is the Great Wall of China while India’s Taj Mahal is number five.
The New Zealand sights mentioned in the Lonely Planet Top 500 Places to visit in the world are:
- Fiordland National Park at number 17
- Abel Tasman National Park at number 35
- Franz Josef and Fox Glacier at number 81
- Lake Wanaka at number 94 (Te Araroa passes through)
- Stewart Island at number 125
- The Bay of Islands at number 130 (Te Araroa passes through)
- Whakarewarewa in Rotorua at number 276
- Waitomo Caves at number 280 (Te Araroa passes through)
- Te Papa Tongarewa, Museum of New Zealand at number 285 (Te Araroa passes by).