Te Araroa News

Te Araroa Trust Chief Executive update 9 - What to expect at COVID-19 Alert Level 2 - 08 May 2020

 

A decision on when New Zealand will move to Level 2 will be made by the Government on Monday 11 May and we remain under Level 3 restrictions until then. However, yesterday’s Government announcement and the subsequent update on outdoor recreation at Level 2 from Sport NZ suggests tramping may be an option for Kiwis and any international walkers who have sheltered in place throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
 
If the Government decision on 11 May permits overnight or multi-day walks on the trail at Alert Level 2, please be aware that some trail infrastructure is operating at limited capacity. 
 
In some areas accommodation providers and supporting businesses may not yet have re-opened, so it is important to plan and call ahead. The Department of Conservation is still finalising its plans to ensure they align with Ministry of Health guidelines but we understand they are hopeful of being able to re-open huts and campsites at Alert Level 2, potentially with some additional controls in place to ensure physical distancing can be maintained.
 
International walkers who aren’t already in New Zealand will have to wait a while longer to walk the trail because New Zealand’s borders are expected to remain closed for a while yet. We will continue to provide updates as further information becomes available.
 
Thank you to everyone who has abided by Government restrictions on outdoor activity and supported New Zealand’s efforts to control COVID-19. Together we can beat this virus!
 
Be kind and stay safe,
Mark Weatherall
Chief Executive, Te Araroa Trust